It’s a pizza panini! This panini recipe has a homemade tomato sauce that is combined with cheese and pepperoni and grilled inside a sandwich for an easy meal both sandwich and pizza lovers will enjoy.
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 ciabatta rolls, cut in half
- 1 ball fresh regular or smoked mozzarella
- 12 leaves basil, torn
- 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Preheat a panini grill or place a large skillet over medium heat.
- Scatter the tomatoes onto a baking sheet and toss them with the olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until they begin to burst, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the tomatoes to a large bowl and mash them into a chunky sauce using a spoon or potato masher.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the cut side of each roll. Arrange the mozzarella and basil over the top, and if you are using pepperoni, layer that in as well. Close up the sandwiches and place on the panini grill until toasted and heated through and the cheese is melted. (If you are using a skillet, weigh the sandwich down with another pan and flip over once one side is toasted.)
- Cut the sandwiches and serve.
slightly adapted from The Rachael Ray Show