This Italian BBQ Chicken with Polenta is comforting and full of flavor! Bone in chicken is topped with an easy homemade bbq sauce and served over creamy polenta.
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, legs, or chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/3 cups quick cooking polenta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil, torn
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place a baking sheet in the oven while it is preheating.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper and the poultry seasoning.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan. Add the chicken and brown on both sides. Transfer the chicken to the baking sheet in the oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked to 165ºF, about 15-20 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the oven, cook the bacon in the same pan that you used for the chicken. Cook until it is crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, then add the vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, and 2 cups of the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then let it cook until slightly reduced and thickened. Stir in the bacon.
- In another saucepan, combine the remaining 2 cups of chicken stock and the milk. Bring to a boil, then whisk in the polenta. Whisk until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken over the polenta and top with the bbq sauce. Garnish with fresh basil.
adapted from Rachael Ray’s Big Orange Book