Ham, creamed spinach and cheese over toast – all topped with an egg. A perfect breakfast or brunch recipe!
- 1 box (10-oz) frozen chopped spinach
- 4 thick hand-cut slices good-quality white bread
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 8 thin slices mild ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1/3 pound gruyere cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Defrost the spinach in the microwave, then wring it completely dry in a kitchen towel. Spread it out, separating the spinach bits with your fingers.
- Arrange the bread on the baking sheet. Spread the bread slices with the mustard, then top each with 2 slices ham.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until the sauce is thickened enough to coat a spoon, a couple of minutes. Add the spinach.
- Spoon the sauce evenly over the ham. Top the spinach with an even layer of cheese and bake until brown, 10 minutes. Cook the eggs any style (we like ours over easy). Place 1 egg on top of each croque.
Note In the magazine, they called these Croques Monsieurs, but I thought that when you add the egg, it turns into a Madame. So, I changed the name!
**adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray May 2011