Eat like those on Downton Abbey with this silky smooth Royal Cheddar Cheese Soup. During the Edwardian era, this soup would be served whenever there were special guests present.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, potatoes and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender. (You may need to do this in 2 batches.) Process until pureed.
- To the soup pan, whisk the mustard into the cream. Stir the pureed mixture back into the soup pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Cheddar cheese into the soup and keep stirring until the cheese has melted.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls and garnish with the chopped chives.
slightly adapted from: Edwardian Cooking