Roasted red peppers and sweet potatoes come together in this creamy soup that is full of flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 jar (12 oz) roasted red peppers, chopped, liquid reserved
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 – 4 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add in the red peppers, green chiles, cumin, salt and coriander. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved juice from the roasted red peppers, sweet potatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Cook until the potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and lemon juice. Let the soup cool slightly.
- Place half of the soup into a blender along with the cream cheese. Process until smooth, then add back into the soup pot and heat through. Season with additional salt, if needed.
adapted from Taste of Home