A simple refried beans recipe that will make you ditch the can!
- 2 1/2 cups dry pinto beans
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2–4 tablespoons pork lard, bacon fat or olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- salt to taste
- Rinse the beans and remove any small stones or bad beans.
- Put the beans in a large pot and cover with the 3 quarts of water. The beans should be covered by at least 3 inches. Bring the water to a boil, then lower to simmer and cook, covered, for about 2 1/2 hours. The beans are done when they are soft and the skin is beginning to break open.
- Remove the beans from the heat and strain.
- in a large frying pan over medium heat, cook the lard/bacon fat/oil and the onion until the onions are translucent. Add the strained beans and the 1/4 cup of water. Mash the beans with a potato masher while you are cooking them until they are a rough puree. If the beans are getting dried out, add more water. Add salt to taste.
adapted from Simply Recipes