Red velvet meets baked donuts in this striking breakfast treat.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the sugar and egg. Add the melted butter and melted chocolate to the egg/sugar mixture. Add in the vanilla and buttermilk and red food coloring.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing just until combined. Fill the donut pan with the batter, filling each about 2/3rds full. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.
- In small bowl, stir together all ingredients until sugar is completely dissolved. Use immediately to glaze donuts. You can either toss them in or dip just the tops. If the glaze starts to harden you can add more hot water.
- Donut recipe adapted from Bittersweet
- Icing recipe from Velveteen Baker