Simple and perfect – this red velvet sheet cake recipe makes a cake that is dense and moist and is topped with a decadent cookies and cream frosting. This cake proves that simple can be amazing!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 24 Chocolate Sandwich Cookies (Oreos) – about 2/3 package
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a saucepan, combine the butter and the buttermilk and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour and cocoa. Stir in the sugar. Add in the eggs, sour cream, red food coloring, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Mix to combine.
- Pour the boiling butter/buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, a little at a time, stirring constantly. The batter will be very thin. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 25-28 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make the frosting, beat together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar a little at a time. Beat for 2-3 minutes.
- Put the cookies in a large zip top bag and use a mallet to crush and break them up. Stir the cookie pieces into the frosting and frost the cake. Cut into slices to serve.
cake inspired by The Girl Who Ate Everything Cookbook