Rich, gooey and sweet, this Red Velvet Cobbler Recipe is a version of an old-time Southern dessert.
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 1/2 teaspoons cocoa powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Pour the melted butter into the bottom of an 8×8-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, 3/4 cup of the sugar,1 1/2 teaspoons of the cocoa, baking soda and salt. Stir in the buttermilk, red food coloring and vanilla extract. Spoon the batter over the butter, and carefully spread into one layer.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining 1 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons cocoa powder. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the top of the batter. Carefully pour the boiling water over the top of the sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or until the center is just set. Let the cobbler sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. (The “sauce” will thicken as it sits.)