Black Bottom Cupcakes go red velvet in this fun twist on a classic.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/8 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well.
- Sift together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake pans. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Mix until combined and smooth. Add in the egg and salt and mix. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop a heaping tablespoonful of the filling on top of each filled cupcake cup.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15-20 minutes, or until baked through. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, combine the chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup in a small bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute and then stir until the chocolate has completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the vanilla.
- Dip the top of each cupcake into the chocolate ganache. Return to a cooling rack to allow the ganache to set up.
- cupcake recipe adapted from Paula Deen
- Filling and ganache adapted from Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey