Taste the flavors of the season in this quiche recipe that is filled with roasted butternut squash, kale and gruyere cheese.
- 1 lb butternut squash, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 single pie crust
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 oz shredded kale
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 oz gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Combine the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring once or twice, until soft and browned on the edges. Remove from the oven and reserve.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375ºF. Roll out the pie crust and line a 9-inch pie dish with the crust and crimp the edges. Poke the bottom and the sides generously with a fork. Spray a piece of foil or parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray and place over the pie. Add pie weights and bake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and remove the weights and the paper.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet and add the onion. Cook until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the kale and cook, stirring, until the kale has started to wilt a little bit, another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the roasted butternut squash.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and the half and half. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the gruyere.
- Spread the butternut squash/kale mixture in the bottom of the par-baked crust. Pour the egg mixture over the top, spreading out the cheese if it tries to all stick together in one spot.
- Bake the quiche until the top is light golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cover the crust with a pie shield or foil if the edges start to get too brown.