The flavors of the season are infused in these Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls that are topped with a creamy maple cinnamon cream cheese frosting. They are so good that you will want to eat them year round!
For the Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls:
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (one .25 oz pkg) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (store bought or homemade)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 5–7 cups all-purpose flour
For the Filling:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
For the Maple Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
MAKE THE DOUGH:
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water and the yeast. Add a pinch of the sugar. Allow to stand until the yeast starts to bubble, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the evaporated milk, sugar, pumpkin, vegetable oil, egg and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add in 4 cups of the flour and stir to combine. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough comes together and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, 5-8 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until about doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
MAKE AND FILL THE ROLLS:
- In a small, melt the butter.
- In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
- Spray a 9×13” and an 8×8” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Punch the dough down, then divide into 2 equal portions. Working with one portion at a time, roll the dough out on a floured surface to a 12×16” rectangle.
- Spread half of the butter on the dough, and sprinkle half of the sugar mixture over the top. Starting at the long side, roll the dough into a log. Cut the uneven edges off, then cut the log into 8 equal slices.
- Transfer the slices to the baking dish, cut side up. (You will be able to fit 12 rolls in the 9×13” pan and 4 rolls in the 8×8” pan.) Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Lightly press the rolls down, then cover and allow to rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the rolls until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
FROST THE ROLLS:
- To make the frosting, beat together the cream cheese and butter. Add in the powdered sugar, maple extract and cinnamon and beat until light and creamy.
- When the rolls first come out of the oven, spread about 1/3 of the frosting over the top of the rolls, allowing it to melt into the rolls.
- Let the rolls cool for 15-20 minutes before frosting with the remaining frosting.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 474
- Sugar: 43 g
- Sodium: 73 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 70 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 53 mg
Keywords: pumpkin cinnamon rolls