French bread is topped with cooked sausage, portobello mushrooms and cheese in this easy French bread pizza recipe.
- 1 (16 oz) loaf French Bread
- 16–18 oz Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (about 6 oz each)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 8 slices (6-8 oz) sliced Provolone cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise using a serrated knife. Carefully pull out the insides of the bread, making sure not to go all of the way through. (This will make a sort of “boat” to hold the filling.)
- Place the bread, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cut each mushroom in half and then thinly slice.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Remove the sausage from the casings and add to the skillet. Cook until no longer pink, breaking the sausage up as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the broth and the mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have softened, another 5-10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two bread halves and spread from end to end. Top each piece with 4 slices of cheese. Place back in the oven until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cut into slices to serve.
adapted from Cooking with Amy