Great food doesn’t have to be complicated – this Pork Carnitas Recipe is so simple but it will blow your socks off. Serve the carnitas in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, or however your heart desires!
- 3 lbs fatty pork shoulder or butt, skin and bone removed
- cold water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Cut the meat into strips 2” x 3/4” (make sure you don’t remove/discard the fat). Place the meat into a large pot and barely cover with cold water. Add the salt and bring the water to a boil, uncovered.
- Lower the heat to bring the water down to a simmer. Let the meat continue to cook until all of the water has evaporated, about 1 1/2 hours, depending on the size/shape of your pan.* The meat should be cooked through at this point, but not falling apart.
- Lower the flame a little bit more and continue to cook until all of the fat has rendered from the pork, turning the meat occasionally until all sides are browned, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Serve the pork in tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or however you’d like!
*The pork will cook faster and more evenly if your pan is large and shallow. It may take longer to cook if your pan is deeper.
Recipe source: Food52 Genius Recipes
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 316
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 685 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 30 g
- Cholesterol: 106 mg
Keywords: pork carnitas, carnitas recipe