It doesn’t get more kid-friendly than 2 childhood favorites combined into one – mac and cheese with a pepperoni pizza twist!
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 5 ounces mini pepperoni, or chopped pepperoni
- Preheat the broiler.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt and add the pasta. Cook until al dente; drain and set aside.
- In a pan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about another minute. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 more minute. Slowly whisk in the milk, whisking out any clumps. Cook until thickened. Stir in the Italian seasoning.
- Working in 3 batches, whisk in the Mozzarella, making sure all of the cheese is melted in between additions. Add in the tomato sauce and pepperoni and heat until warmed through. Stir in the reserved pasta.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven safe baking dish, or individual baking dishes, and top with additional cheese. Put under the broiler and cook until the cheese is melted.