Individual breakfast casseroles are infused with fresh orange and maple for a breakfast dish that can be made ahead of time. Perfect for special company or a holiday morning!
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple-flavored pancake syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3–4 cups cubed bread
- powdered sugar and additional pancake syrup, for serving
- Whisk the cream cheese until smooth. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Stir in the milk, orange juice, syrup and orange peel.
- Divid the bread between 4 (10 oz) ramekins or baking dishes that have been greased. Slowly pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread. Place the dishes on a baking sheet and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight or until ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Uncover the dishes and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and drizzle with pancake syrup just before serving.
slightly adapted from The Incredible Edible Egg