A chowder filled with onion flavor, plus bacon! Served with Cheesy Onion Popovers.
- 1 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 4 white onions, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 32-ounce container chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 12 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a standard 12-cup muffin pan.
- In large Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Add the onions to the pot, season with salt and cook for 8 minutes. Set aside 1/4 cup of the cooked onions. Sprinkle the remaining onions with 1/4 cup flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in blender, mix the reserved onions, 1 cup milk, the remaining 1 cup flour, the eggs, butter and 1/4 t salt until smooth. Fill each muffin cup halfway with batter and place a cube of cheese in center of each. Bake for 25 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 degrees; bake for 15 minutes more.
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup milk into the soup and heat through.
- Garnish with bacon and chives.
- Serve with the popovers.