Lasagna for a weeknight! Skip the hassle of preparing a lasagna and make this Skillet Lasagna instead. It is a one pan dinner that gives you a taste of Italy without all the work!
- 1 pound (16 oz) Fresh Italian Sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 jar (24 oz) pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water*
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 oz lasagna noodles, broken into bite-sized pieces
- 4 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened and cut into small squares
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- additional basil, for serving (optional)
- Remove the skins from the sausage and break into pieces. Add to a large skillet over medium heat and cook, breaking up even more as it cooks, until cooked though and browned.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the pasta sauce, water, diced tomatoes, broken lasagna noodles and basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover.
- Cook until the noodles are al dente, and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15-20 minutes. I like to stir it every 3 or 4 minutes to make sure the noodles don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. This is especially important in the last 5 minutes, as this is when they start to stick the most.
- Remove the lid from the skillet and stir in the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Place the cover back on and reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Let it sit, covered, for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir the ricotta and parsley together. When the lasagna is done, turn off the heat and dollop the ricotta mixture over the top. Sprinkle with the Parmesan. Put the lid back on the skillet and let it sit for 5 minutes, then serve.
*If you live at or near sea level, you might want to start with 1 cup of water, and add more water if needed during the cooking time.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 545
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 1198 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 12 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 31 g
- Cholesterol: 115 mg
Keywords: skillet lasagna