Recipe for chocolate cupcakes topped with ganache and then a vanilla buttercream.
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 (16-ounce) can Hershey’s chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces good semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 to 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Mix in the chocolate syrup and vanilla. Add the flour and coffee granules and mix until just combined. Don’t overbeat, or the cupcakes will be tough.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 30 minutes, or until just set in the middle. Don’t overbake! Let cool thoroughly in the muffin pan.
- For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and instant coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
- Dip the tops of the cupcakes into the ganache. Do not refrigerate.
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. (Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.) Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Pipe the buttercream on top of the ganache covered cupcakes.
cupcake and ganache recipes from Ina Garten