This is the ultimate make at home Monte Cristo Sandwich – with turkey, ham and cheese in a sandwich that is cooked French toast style. If desired, serve with powdered sugar and raspberry jam. It’s a sweet and savory combo that will convert even a skeptic!
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 slices white bread
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 lb deli sliced ham
- 1/4 lb deli sliced turkey
- 8 slices Swiss or Provolone cheese
- Powdered sugar and raspberry jam, for serving
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs and the milk.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Lay 4 pieces of bread down and top with 1 slice of cheese on each piece of bread. Place 1/4 of the ham on top of each piece of cheese.
- Take 4 more slices of bread and spread about 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise on one side. Place the mayonnaise side down on top of the ham, then spread another 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise on the opposite side of the bread. Repeat with the 3 remaining sandwiches.
- Place 1/4 of the turkey on top of each sandwich, then top with another slice of cheese. Place the last 4 slices of bread on top of each sandwich.
- Press down on each sandwich firmly to press together slightly.
- Dip each sandwich quickly into the egg and milk mixture. They need to be coated, but not soaked.
- Place the sandwiches in the skillet with the butter. Cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese on the side against the skillet is melted, then carefully flip the sandwich over and cook the other side.
- Slice the sandwiches in half to serve, and serve dusted with powdered sugar and a side of raspberry jam for dipping, if desired.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline. Nutritional information does not include powdered sugar or raspberry jam.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 697
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 1998 mg
- Fat: 37 g
- Saturated Fat: 17 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 40 g
- Cholesterol: 189 mg
Keywords: monte cristo sandwich