A simple beef dish full of Chinese flavors, this Mongolian Beef comes together quickly so you’ll have dinner on the table faster than order take-out!
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 16 oz flank steak, cut into thin pieces against the grain
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thin pieces
- 6 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, miring, sugar and sesame oil. Whisk in the cornstarch to combine.
- Stir the sliced beef into the mixture. Set aside and let it marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Working in batches, brown the meat. Be careful to not overcrowd the skillet. Remove to a plate while you finish cooking the beef. Add another tablespoon of oil as needed while browning the beef.
- While the beef is cooking, make the sauce by combining the brown sugar, water and soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- When the beef has been browned and removed from the skillet, add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the same skillet. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the green onion and stir to combine. Add the beef back into the skillet. Stir the sauce into the skillet. Cook for a few minutes to thicken up the sauce, scraping the bits off the bottom of the skillet as it cooks.
- Serve warm over rice.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide. Nutrition information does not include rice.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 459
- Sugar: 34 g
- Sodium: 1987 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 45 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 75 mg
Keywords: mongolian beef, chinese food, take out