A riff off of the popular open-face sandwiches served at the Brown hotel near the Kentucky Derby racetrack, these Mini Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwiches are an easy and fun way to have the sandwiches at home!
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 dinner or potato rolls, split
- 9 oz deli sliced turkey
- 3 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 12 slices cooked bacon, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the broiler.
- Spread the mayonnaise on the cut sides of the rolls. Place the rolls, cut side up, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Broil just until golden, 1-2 minutes. Reduce the oven to 200ºF.
- Divide the turkey among the roll bottoms. Top each with a slice of tomato and 2 half-slices of bacon. Place the baking sheet back into the oven to keep warm while preparing the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute or two, then whisk in the milk slowly. Add the parmesan and paprika. Stir until the sauce thickens, 4-5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the cheddar. Stir until the cheese has melted completely. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the cheese sauce over the sandwich bottoms (about 1 tablespoon each) and then add the roll top. Serve warm.
adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray May 2015
The original recipe posted here on Taste and Tell had twice the amount of the mornay sauce. But after re-testing, I decided it was way too much sauce, so the sauce amount has been cut in half. If you like things really saucy, feel free to double it.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 2 sandwiches
- Calories: 510
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 1078 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 63 mg
Keywords: kentucky hot brown, hot brown sandwiches