This vegetable minestrone recipe has an addition of gnocchi for a heartier, comforting soup recipe. This Minestrone Recipe with Gnocchi is perfect for any cool night!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small to medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 small parmesan rind, optional
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 (16 oz) package gnocchi
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock plus 3 cups of water. Add the tomatoes, rosemary, and parmesan rind, if using. Season with a little more salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then add the kale and reduce the heat to medium and cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add in the gnocchi and cook until tender, another 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the rosemary sprig and parmesan rind.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the Parmesan.
adapted from Food Network Magazine April 2015