Look no further for a hearty breakfast that can’t be beat! This Meat and Potatoes Breakfast Skillet is filled with bacon, ham, potatoes, cheese and topped with eggs and an easy, creamy homemade hollandaise sauce.
- 1 1/2 lbs baby red potatoes
- 8 oz bacon
- 8 oz ham
- 6 oz Colby jack cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Clean the potatoes and cut into fourths or sixths, depending on their size. You want them slightly smaller than bite-sized.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill with enough water to cover them. Place over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Once it is boiling, set a timer for 5 minutes. When the time is up, drain the potatoes and return them to the pot to dry out slightly.
- Meanwhile, cut the bacon into small pieces. Dice the ham. Place both the bacon and the ham in a large skillet (I like to use cast iron for this) and cook over medium heat until the bacon is crisp and the ham is browned*, stirring often.
- When the bacon is crisp, remove the bacon and the ham to a paper towel lined plate, reserving the grease in the pan.**
- Carefully add the potatoes to the skillet and stir to coat. Let the potatoes cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Do not stir. After 5 minutes, stir the potatoes, and set the timer for 5 more minutes. Let the potatoes cook without stirring. Once the timer goes off, stir one more time and let the potatoes cook for 5 additional minutes, for a total of 15 minutes of cook time.
- When the last timer goes off, turn off the heat and season the potatoes to taste with salt. Add the bacon and ham and stir to combine. Sprinkle the cheese over the top, then cover the pan to allow the cheese to melt.
- Cook the eggs to your preference. (I am a sunny-side up or over easy kind of girl!)
- To make the hollandaise, place the egg yolks, lemon juice and salt in a blender. Pulse to combine. With the blender on low, add the butter in a slow, steady stream. Once combined, pulse another time or two to make sure everything is combined.
- To serve – take some of the potato and meat mixture, place 2 cooked eggs over the top, then drizzle with the hollandaise. Sprinkle with paprika, then serve.
*If you use a ham steak like I did in the video, be cautious as the ham may pop when the water releases from the ham and hits the hot oil. Leftover ham from a full ham shouldn’t do this, but a ham steak or the diced ham that you can buy at the store will.
**You’ll want about 1/4 of grease left in the pan. If your bacon doesn’t leave a lot of fat behind, you can add in butter to have enough in the pan.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Calories: 898
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 1269 mg
- Fat: 68 g
- Saturated Fat: 34 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 21 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 38 g
- Cholesterol: 613 mg
Keywords: breakfast skillet