A creamy alfredo sauce is taken up a notch with the addition of lemon zest.
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino cheese, plus more for garnish
- freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente. Save a mug full of the pasta water before draining.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saute pan. Add the shallot and cook until tender and lightly browned, 3-5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream, egg yolk and lemon zest. Reduce the heat on the saute pan to medium-low, then whisk the cream into the shallot. Add in the cheese and whisk to combine. Continue to cook until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and lots of black pepper (to taste).
- Stir the drained pasta into the sauce and stir to combine. Add reserved pasta water as needed to loosen the sauce. Serve with more pecorino, if desired.
source: Food Network Magazine March 2010