A classic for a reason, this Lemon Meringue Pie is the perfect combination of sweet and tart. A smooth lemon filling is topped with a marshmallow-like meringue in this pie that is the perfect ending for a holiday dinner.
- 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust, cooked and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- FILLING: In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of the sugar, the flour, the cornstarch and the salt. Whisk to combine. Stir in the water and the lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, whisking or stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Place the egg yolks in a small bowl and beat slightly. While whisking, stir in a bit of the hot mixture, whisking constantly to prevent scrambling the eggs. Pour this egg mixture back into the saucepan and continue to cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add in the butter and lemon zest. Stir to combine, then pour into the prepared pie crust.
- MERINGUE: To make the meringue, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until they are frothy. (This is definitely easiest done in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer.) Start adding in the remaining 6 tablespoons of sugar, about 1 tablespoon at at time. Continue to mix until stiff, marshmallow-like peaks form.
- Carefully spread the meringue over the hot filling, making sure to go all the way to the edges of the pie to touch the crust.
- BAKE: Bake in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes, or until the peaks are browned.
- REFRIGERATE: Let the pie cool at room temperature until completely cool. If not serving right away, refrigerate for 3-6 hours before serving.
For a more tart pie, cut the water to 1 1/2 cups and increase the lemon juice to 1/2 cup.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 298
- Sugar: 35 g
- Sodium: 232 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 52 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 78 mg
Keywords: Lemon meringue pie, lemon meringue pie recipe, how to make lemon meringue pie