Perfectly moist and bursting with lemon flavor, this Lemon Loaf is better than Starbucks! It’s super easy to make at home, and you know exactly what is going into it.
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 1 lb loaf pan with parchment, then spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- To a large bowl, add the sugar and the lemon zest. Use your fingertips to rub the lemon zest into the sugar. The sugar should become super fragrant and moist.
- Add the butter and stir to combine. Add in the eggs, lemon juice, and lemon extract. Stir to combine. Fold in the sour cream.
- To the bowl, add the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir just until everything is combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean, with just a few moist crumbs, about 45 minutes to an hour. Remove from the oven and let the bread cool for about 30 minutes, then remove from the pan to completely.
- Once cool, make the icing: In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and cream. If needed, add more lemon juice or cream to make the icing the right consistency. It should be pourable, but still pretty thick.
- Pour the icing over the top of the bread and if desired, you can spread to make it even. Let the icing set up before slicing and serving the loaf.
If you don’t have lemon extract, you can use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. It won’t have quite as much lemon flavor, but it is still delicious!
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 295
- Sugar: 34 g
- Sodium: 194 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 61 mg
Keywords: lemon loaf, lemon cake, starbuck's lemon loaf