A sweet cookie bar, flavored with a hint of lemon, made to look like a favorite Halloween treat!
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 drops yellow food coloring
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- candy corn
- Line the bottom and sides of an 11×7-inch baking dish with foil, extending 2 inches of foil over the edges. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar and lemon peel and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing completely in between eggs. Stir in the flour and baking powder, stirring just until mixed. Stir in yellow food coloring and stir until mixed through.
- Spread half of the mixture into the prepared pan, about 1 1/2 cups. Place the pan in the freezer until slightly firm to the touch, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325F. Mix the red food coloring into the remaining batter.
- Spread the orange batter over the yellow batter and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool completely, about 45 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the powdered sugar until well blended. Mix in the milk, vanilla and salt. Add more milk if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Using the overhanging foil as handles, lift the bars out of the baking pan. Frost with the frosting. Cut bars into 3 rows by 5 rows, and cut each square in half to form a triangle. Top each piece with a piece of candy corn.
- Adapted from Pillsbury.com