All of the flavors of lasagna in this easy, comforting Lasagna Soup Recipe! This soup is the perfect way to warm up with a taste of Italy.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste*
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- salt and black pepper
- Ricotta cheese, for serving
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it browns, for about 10 minutes. Pour off any extra grease from the pan and slowly stir in the chicken stock.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, the tomato paste, oregano, thyme, and basil. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add the lasagna noodles and cook until the noodles are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, then stir in the mozzarella and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with Parmesan, fresh basil, and ricotta, if desired.
I didn’t have enough tomato paste on hand, so I only used about 2 tablespoons. It worked!
This is a thick soup, and will get thicker as it sits and the pasta soaks up more of the liquid. If you want to thin it out, you can add more chicken stock.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
Recipe from The I Heart Naptime Cookbook
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 572
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 1186 mg
- Fat: 27 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 49 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 83 mg
Keywords: lasagna soup, lasagna soup recipe