Cupcakes go patriotic with these cupcakes that are streaked with red, then topped with white and blue. You can easily change the jello flavor and the topping for different holidays or flavors.
- 1 box white cake mix, plus the ingredients called for on the box for cupcakes
- 1 (3 oz) package strawberry Jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz) container non-dairy whipped topping (aka Cool Whip), thawed*
- Bake the cupcakes according to the package directions. Remove from the oven and leave in the pans to cool for 10 minutes. Poke the cupcakes with a fork or a skewer.
- Combine the jello and the boiling water and mix until the jello is dissolved. Pour the jello mixture over the tops of the cupcakes. Refrigerate the cupcakes for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and continue to beat until combined. Beat in the vanilla extract. Take about 1/4 of the whipped topping and stir it into the cream cheese mixture. Add the remaining topping and fold in until combined.
- Pipe the frosting on the cooled cupcakes and top with blueberries.
Total time does not include cooling time.
*You can also substitute 1 cup of heavy cream that has been whipped to stiff peaks for the non-dairy whipped topping.