Monte cristo sandwiches take an Italian twist with ham, mozzarella, and a honey mustard and thyme sauce.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or cream
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 slices good quality white bread
- 1/2 pound deli ham
- 2/3 – 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese
- In a shallow pan, beat the eggs with the half-and-half, salt and pepper and nutmeg. Beat in the parmesan cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, Dijon, thyme, and lemon juice; mix well.
- Spread the honey mustard on one side of the bread slices. Build the sandwiches with the ham and mozzarella cheese.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Melt butter. When the butter is melted, dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture, turn to coat. Place on the griddle and cook until the sandwiches have browned and the cheese has melted. (You may need to cover the pan with foil so that the cheese will melt without the sandwich getting too brown.) Cut the sandwiches corner to corner and serve.
- adapted from The Rachael Ray Show