This Italian Cream Cake is a tender buttermilk and coconut cake, topped with a cream cheese icing, pecans, and more coconut.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2–4 tablespoons cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 3 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg yolks and the vanilla.
- In a bowl, sift together the salt and the flour. Mix 1/3 of the buttermilk into the batter, followed by half of the flour mixture. Add in another 1/3 of the buttermilk, the remaining flour, then the remaining buttermilk. Stir in the coconut.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the pans. Allow to cool completely.
- Make the frosting: Cream together the cream cheese and butter. Beat in the vanilla, then beat in the powdered sugar. If the frosting is too stiff, add in the cream, 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Spread the frosting between the layers, and then on the top and sides of the cake. Press the pecans into the sides of the cake, and add the coconut to the top of the cake.