Inspired by a popular Mexican breakfast, this Huevos Rancheros Inspired Spaghetti Squash has all of the flavor of the popular Mexican meal with less carbs!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Hunt’s Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- fresh cilantro
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise with a sharp knife. Scrape out the seeds and discard. Place the squash halves cut side up in a microwave safe dish. Add about ½ inch of water to the dish and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high until the squash is soft, about 10 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly, then with a fork, scrape up the strings from the flesh of the squash.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until they are translucent. Add the Hunt’s Organic Diced Tomatoes. Season with the salt, chili powder, and cumin. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and let the mixture simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Crack the eggs into the skillet. Cook as desired.
- To serve, mix half of the tomato mixture into each of the spaghetti squash halves. Top each half with 2 of the eggs. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
*if desired, you can scrape the spaghetti squash into a serving dish and stir all of the tomato mixture in. Top each serving with the fried eggs to serve.