A traditional Easter treat, these Hot Cross Buns are slightly sweet, light and fluffy, and lightly spiced with cinnamon. You’ll want to make these buns an Easter tradition at your house!
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon powdered milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, 1 kept whole and one with yolk and white separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl (I like to use my liquid measuring cup) combine the warm water and the yeast. Let it sit until the yeast starts to bloom, 10-15 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the sugar, butter, powdered milk and salt. Using the paddle attachment, mix to combine. Add in the whole egg plus the egg white. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour and the cinnamon to the bowl of the stand mixer and mix until combined. Switch to the dough hook and mix for 5 minutes. In the last minute, add the raisins.
- Cover the dough and let the rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, punch down the dough and let it rest for an addition 10 minutes.
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and separate into 12 equal pieces. Shape into rolls and place in the prepared baking dish. Cover and let rise again until doubled, 35-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk with the 2 tablespoons of water and whisk lightly to combine. Brush the tops of the rolls with the egg mixture.
- Bake the rolls in the preheated oven until browned and cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the rolls from the oven and let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Drizzle a cross on the top of each of the rolls. I like to place the icing in a ziplock bag and cut off the corner.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1 bun
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 115 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 39 mg
Keywords: hot cross buns