Spiced cider gets an added bit of richness from a pat of butter in this festive winter drink.
- 1/2 gallon apple cider
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 1 strip of zest
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, plus 1 strip of zest
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- cinnamon candy sticks or cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- In a large pot, combine the cider, lemon juice, orange juice, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, not allowing to boil.
- Ladle the cider into mugs, leaving the zest, cinnamon sticks and cloves in the pot. Add about 1/2 teaspoon butter to each mug. Serve with candy sticks or cinnamon sticks, if desired.
from Food Network Magazine November 2009