You can’t go wrong with a classic! This Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream is custard based with real vanilla bean flecks throughout.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the milk, sugar, 1 cup of the cream and the salt in a medium saucepan.
- Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds out of the center. Add the seeds and the bean to the mixture and stir over medium heat.
- Cook until warmed through, then cover the pan, remove from the heat, and let the mixture sit and steep for 30 minutes.
- Pour the remaining one cup of cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over the top. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks. While whisking, pour the vanilla bean mixture into the egg yolks and whisk completely, then pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat. Stir the mixture constantly with a heatproof spatula, making sure to scrape the bottom as you stir. Cook until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the strainer and stir it into the cream. Remove the vanilla bean from the strainer and add to the custard. Stir in the vanilla extract. Place in an ice bath and stir frequently until cooled. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until fully chilled, preferably overnight.
- When ready to churn, remove the vanilla bean from the mixture. Freeze the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s manufacturer’s instructions.
Recipe source: The Perfect Scoop
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 339
- Sugar: 22 g
- Sodium: 60 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Saturated Fat: 15 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 223 mg
Keywords: homemade vanilla ice cream, vanilla ice cream