Turkey dinner without the hassle of cooking a full turkey! This Roast Turkey Breast with Herbed Butter produces a moist, full of flavor turkey breast – perfect for a smaller family.
- 1 (6-10 lb) bone-in turkey breast
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 apple, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Rinse and dry the turkey breast.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, parsley, sage, and thyme. Set aside.
- Gently pull the skin up from the breast of the turkey, creating a pocket. Take half of the butter and press the butter in between the skin and the breast meat on one side, then use the remaining butter on the opposite side. I think it’s easiest to put the butter under the skin, then evenly press it out on the outside of the skin.
- Tuck the apple and onion into the small cavity under the bone.
- Place the flour in an oven safe turkey bag. Shake to distribute it evenly.
- Place the turkey bread in the bag and set it in a baking dish that is at least 2 inches deep. Make sure the apples and onions are on the bottom.
- Pour the chicken broth over the turkey, then tuck the edges of the bag under the breast and cut a few slits in the top of the bag.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a thermometer inserted in the areas reads 165ºF., about 15-20 minutes per pound of turkey breast.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
SUBSTITUTIONS: If you have a different mixture of fresh herbs that you like, feel free to use them. These are pretty traditional turkey herbs.
MAKE AHEAD: If desired, you can cook your turkey a day or two in advance and warm it up before serving, but one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving is how it smells as the turkey bakes! But this does free up time and oven space, so it may work better for you.
FREEZE: Turkey leftovers can be frozen to use later. Remove the turkey from any bones, place in an airtight container (I like to use ziplock bags) and freeze for up to 3 months.
STORE: Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide. Nutrition information is based on 4 oz of cooked meat per person.
- Serving Size: 4 oz cooked meat
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 476 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 60 mg
Keywords: roast turkey breast, turkey breast, oven roasted turkey breast