Recipe for homemade hamburger buns that will make you never want to buy store-bought buns again! Soft, yet sturdy – these are the perfect hamburger bun for your burger or any kind of sandwich.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (.25 oz) package instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sesame seeds, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, water and butter. Heat just until the butter has melted – do not boil.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl if making by hand), combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, the sugar and the salt. Mix together.
- Mix in one of the eggs.
- Add the warmed milk mixture and combine.
- Continue to add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough comes together. It will still be tacky but shouldn’t be overly sticky.
- If using a mixer, switch to the dough hook and knead for 5-8 minutes. If making by hand, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Cover the dough and allow it to rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Shape the dough into 8-12 balls and flatten. The buns will rise up, but won’t rise out much, so make them about the width that you’d like the final buns to be. Place on a baking sheet that has been lined with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
- Cover the rolls and allow them to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Combine the remaining egg and the tablespoon of water and whisk well together.
- Brush the egg wash over the buns. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
*We like big buns for our burgers, so I usually make 8 from this recipe, but you can make up to 12 if you make them smaller.
*These freeze well! Freeze the finished buns and pull them out to defrost completely before using.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guideline. Nutrition information is calculated making 12 buns from the recipe.x
- Serving Size: 1 bun
- Calories: 248
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 312 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 45 mg
Keywords: hamburger buns, homemade hamburger buns, hamburger bun recipe