A quiche filled with lots of asparagus and ham – perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner!
- pie dough for 1 (9-inch) crust
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 10 oz asparagus spears, cut on the diagonal to 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb ham, cut into cubes
- 6 oz Gruyere cheese (or other cheese that melts easily)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the pie dough. Fit into a 9-inch pie dish. Line the pastry with foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dry beans. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the foil and weights. Prick the bottom and sides of the pie and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool while you make the filling.
- Increase the oven temperature to 375F.
- In a medium saute pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook just until clear, a couple of minutes. Add the asparagus and cook until browned but still crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese on the bottom of the crust. Top with the asparagus mixture and the ham. In a bowl, whisk together the milk, cream and eggs. Season with pepper. Pour over the ham. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until it is just set in the center, about 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Simply Recipes
Keywords: ham and asparagus quiche