Heat that grill up for these Grilled Shrimp and Sausage Kabobs – with lots of veggies, sausage, shrimp and bacon, all covered in a sticky sweet glaze.
- 1 can (8 oz) pineapple chunks in juice
- 8 strips of bacon
- 16 fresh mushrooms
- 16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 12-oz smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into chunks
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium heat.
- Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice in a medium bowl.
- Cut the bacon strips in half. Wrap the bacon pieces around each mushroom. On 8 metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternate threading the pineapple chunks, bacon wrapped mushrooms, shrimp, sausage, onion, and bell pepper.
- In the bowl with the pineapple juice, add the barbecue sauce, corn syrup, ketchup, soy sauce, lime juice, maple extract, garlic powder, ground ginger and ground coriander. Whisk to combine. Reserve 2/3 cup for serving. Baste the top side of the kabobs with some of the remaining sauce.
- Lightly oil the grill and transfer the kabobs to the grill, basted side down. Baste the opposite side of the kabobs, then close the grill. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the bacon is done, turning and basting occasionally with the sauce, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with the reserved sauce.
adapted from Taste of Home The Ultimate Guide To Grilling