A traditional Hawaiian chicken recipe with brown sugar, ginger and soy sauce, this Huli Huli Chicken is an easy and delicious grilling recipe.
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger root
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, chicken broth, apple cider vinegar, ginger and garlic.
- Place the chicken thighs in a shallow dish large enough that they can be laid in a single layer. (You can also place them in a ziplock bag.)
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade, and add the rest to the dish with the chicken thighs. Turn to coat the chicken in the sauce.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate for 8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to make the chicken, remove it from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Grill the chicken until it reaches 170ºF, about 12-16 minutes, turning a few times during the cook time. Baste the chicken with the reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes of cook time.
*If possible, turn the chicken a time or two during the marinating time.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guideline. Nutrition information is calculated making 12 buns from the recipe.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 20 g
- Sodium: 1256 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 39 g
- Cholesterol: 190 mg
Keywords: huli huli chicken, grilled huli huli chicken, hawaiian chicken