These mashed potatoes made with yellow potatoes and sweet potatoes are creamy and full of flavor. You can choose to peel the yellow potatoes or leave the skins on since they have such a thin skin. I usually take the easy route and leave them unpeeled.
- 1 pound yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as yukon gold, cut into cubes
- 1 small sweet potato, (about 1/2 pound), peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1–2 tablespoons sour cream
- salt and pepper
- For topping: butter, shredded Parmesan cheese and/or crumbled bacon
- Place both kinds of potatoes in a saucepan and add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Season with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until all of the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, then return to the pot.
- Using a masher, coarsely mash the potatoes with the cream and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with butter, Parmesan or crumbled bacon.
adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray November 2008