This is not your normal German chocolate cupcake! A chocolate cupcake gets dressed up with chocolate frosting, German chocolate frosting, and a raspberry filling.
For the Cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Raspberry Filling
- 2 cups frozen, unsweetened raspberries
- 1/4 cup sugar + 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water (minus the raspberry liquid)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the German Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 (11 oz) bag caramel bits
- 1 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 30 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in the milk, eggs, oil and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in the boiling water. (Batter will be thin.) Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full with the batter. Bake in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool Completely.
Make the Raspberry Filling:
- Mix the raspberries and the 1/4 cup sugar and allow the raspberries to thaw. Once thawed, drain any juices away from the raspberries, reserving the juice.
- Combine the reserved juice and enough water to make 1 1/4 cups of liquid.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the 1/3 cup sugar, water and juice, cornstarch and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and stir until it thickens. Remove from the heat and cool. Stir in the raspberries. (Filling can be made ahead of time. Refrigerate until needed.)
Make the Chocolate Frosting:
- Melt the butter. Stir in the cocoa. Alternately mix in the powdered sugar and the milk, beating until smooth. Add more milk, if needed. Mix in the vanilla.
Make the German Chocolate Frosting:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the evaporated milk until it starts to simmer. Add the caramel bits and cook, stirring, until the caramel is melted and smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately remove from the heat. Stir in the pecans and the coconut.
Assemble the cupcakes:
- Cut a cone out of the top of each cupcake. Fill the cupcake with the raspberry filling. Pipe a border of the chocolate frosting around the edge of each cupcake. Fill the center of the frosting with a mound of the German chocolate frosting.
- Chocolate cupcake recipe from Hershey’s Chocolate Cookbook
- Raspberry Filling from: Tidy Mom
- Chocolate Frosting from: Hershey’s Chocolate Cookbook
- German Chocolate Frosting recipe from: Confessions of a Cookbook Queen