Not your typical pancake, this German Apple Pancake is a custard-like pancake baked with cinnamon sugar apples for a delicious breakfast recipe.
For the Pancake:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Apples:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- In a blender, combine the eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Pulse a few times to combine. With the blender on low, add in the melted butter and blend until combined. Turn off the blender and let the mixture sit for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight. (If letting it sit for longer than 30 minutes, refrigerate the mixture.)
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/2 cup sugar with the cinnamon.
- In a 12-inch oven proof skillet, melt the 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat. Use a pastry brush to brush the butter evenly on the bottom and the sides of the skillet.
- Sprinkle half the sugar mixture evenly over the butter and on the sides of the pan.
- Line the pan with the apple slices, keeping them in a single layer. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the apples.
- Let the mixture cook, without stirring, for a few minutes, or until the sugar starts to melt and bubble.
- Pour the batter gently over the apples and transfer the pan to the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375ºF and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar for serving, if desired.
Adapted from: Cooking Light
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 319
- Sugar: 29 g
- Sodium: 131 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 157 mg
Keywords: German apple pancake, German pancake, apple dutch baby