Make your own take out at home with this homemade General Tso’s Chicken recipe. Chicken is coated in a sweet and spicy sauce – this easy recipe is better than the Chinese take out!
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 green onions, sliced, plus more for topping
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Sesame seeds, for topping
- Prepared rice, for serving
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce and water. Set aside.
- Place the cornstarch in a large ziplock bag. Add the chicken and seal the bag, then shake until the chicken is coated with the cornstarch.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken just until browned. Remove from the skillet to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the skillet, then add the green onions, the ginger and the red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, or until the sauce thickens a bit. Add the chicken back into the skillet, toss to coat with the sauce, and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the sesame oil.
- Serve over rice, garnished with additional green onions and sesame seeds.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline. Nutritional information does not include sesame seeds or rice.
- Calories: 349
- Sugar: 33 g
- Sodium: 1027 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Cholesterol: 55 mg
Keywords: General Tso Chicken, general tso chicken recipe