These Fudgy Toffee Brownies are rich chocolate brownies with toffee pieces baked in, then topped with a chocolate, toffee and almond topping.
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 12 ounces)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups English toffee bits
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup whole almonds (about 3 1/2 ounces), toasted, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9x9x2-inch metal pan with foil, leaving overhang. Butter foil.
- Combine 1 cup chocolate chips, butter, and 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate in heavy large saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolates melt and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in sugar, then eggs and flour. Whisk in 1 cup toffee bits. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake brownies until tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 45 minutes. Cool brownies 15 minutes. Using metal spatula, press down brownie edges to level top.
- Bring cream to simmer in heavy small saucepan. Add remaining 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate; whisk topping until smooth.
- Pour topping over brownies in pan. Sprinkle with almonds and 1/4 cup toffee bits.
- Chill brownies until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Using foil overhang as aid, lift brownies from pan. Fold down foil sides. Cut into squares and serve cold.
from Bon Appetit via Epicurious