The ultimate end of summer sandwich! This Fried Green Tomato Sandwich has Texas toast that is loaded with warmed pimiento cheese, fried green tomatoes and bacon.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4–5 green tomatoes
- flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- oil, for frying
- 1/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- 8 slices Texas toast
- Make the fried green tomatoes: Cut the green tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, lightly beat the eggs. In a third shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs, cornmeal and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a heavy skillet, heat about 1/4 – 1/2-inch of oil over medium heat. Take a tomato slice and dip it in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumb mixture. Transfer to the hot oil. Continue with about 1/4 of the tomato slices. Cook until golden brown, a minute or two, then flip over and cook the second side. Remove the tomatoes to a paper towel lined plate. Continue until all of the tomatoes are cooked.
- Meanwhile, make the pimiento cheese: In a small saucepan, combine both cheeses, the mayonnaise and the chopped peppers. Cook just until the cheese is melted and all ingredients are combined.
- To assemble the sandwiches: toast the bread. Spread an equal amount of the warmed pimiento cheese on each slice of bread. Top 4 of the slices of bread with a few slices of fried green tomato, then 1 1/2 slices of bacon. Top with another piece of bread, cheese side down.