French-style beignets – cream puff dough is fried until light and fluffy, then rolled in sugar and dusted with powdered sugar. The ultimate French/Southern treat!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vegetable shortening, for frying
- confectioners’ sugar, for serving
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water, butter, 1 teaspoon sugar, salt and half the zest. Bring to a rapid boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add the flour, stirring vigorously. Return to low heat and stir until completely combined and the dough pulls away from the sides of the pan and forms a ball. Remove from the heat.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat until smooth and glossy. Add the vanilla extract.
- Melt the shortening in a heavy bottomed skillet or deep fryer. Heat to 370F. Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, drop the dough by teaspoonfuls, working in batches, into the hot oil. Cook until golden brown, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to the prepared baking sheet.
- Combine the remaining zest and sugar in a bowl. While the beignets are still warm, roll them in the sugar mixture. Just before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
- From Basic to Brilliant, Y’all