These Festive Christmas Tree Sugar Cookie Stacks are a fun way to turn sugar cookies into an edible centerpiece or gift!
- 1 pouch Betty Crocker™ Sugar Cookie mix
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- red and green food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups Betty Crocker™ Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
- assorted holiday sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In medium bowl, stir together cookie mix, flour, melted butter and egg until soft dough forms. Divide the mixture into 2 equal portions, and color one portion red and one portion green with the food coloring.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4” thick. Cut various sizes of circles using floured cookie cutters. (My set has 4 different sizes, so I used all 4 sizes.) Transfer the circles to ungreased cookie sheets and bake until the edges have set, 7 to 9 minutes. Let the cookies sit for 1 minute before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Put the frosting in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds, stirring every 10 seconds, until the frosting is easily pourable.
- To assemble the cookie stacks, start with the largest size of cookie, then stack the cookies with frosting in-between each layer, letting some of the frosting drip down the sides of the stack. Sprinkle on holiday sprinkles as desired.
- I made taller stacks, so I got 2 large stacks from one recipe. If you want to make multiple stacks, you can make them shorter.
adapted from Betty Crocker