Dinner comes together in minutes with this simple pasta dish with onions, pistachio nuts and pecorino cheese.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shelled natural pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- fine sea salt
- 1 pound farfalle pasta
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil. Cook the onion until translucent, but not browned. Stir in the nuts and cook for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Add in the red pepper flakes and more olive oil if it seems dry. Cover to keep warm.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve a cup of the pasta water and drain. Add the pasta into the saute pan. Reheat slowly, and stir in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Season with pepper to taste. Stir in the cheese, then serve immediately.
- slightly adapted from Ciao Italia Family Classics: More than 200 Treasured Recipes from 3 Generations of Italian Cooks